A 45-year-old fat man trying to find his inner skinny dude.

Monday, June 6, 2011

Getting turned down

I once had a bunch of life insurance.  Ten years ago, I had a boatload.  Then I moved away, became self-employed, and got divorced.  I let it go.  There was no reason to have it.  I was never going to get married again.  I sure wasn't going to have kids.  I was already pushing 40.

So here I am, several years later, married and with twins on the way.  Who would have guessed?

I need some life insurance.  Something more than the $50k I have through my job.  Happily, I received in the mail a solicitation for group term life insurance through my alumni association.  I applied.  The basic application asked for medical history, height, weight, that kind of thing.

They sent a guy out to take more history, draw blood, take a urine sample.  Typical.

Then they turned me down.  Why?  Height and weight.  I'm too short for life insurance.  What I don't understand is why I had to go through the process of giving blood (and urine) if they could have turned me down based on the first thing I sent them. 

Maybe the thinking is, "He can't be that fat.  Let's send someone to see."

I don't know.  But I'm annoyed.  And I guess I'd better not die.

No comments:

Post a Comment